Monday 27 February 2012

Scarred But Still Standing - A Poem

"Scarred But Still Standing" has pretty much become a motto for me. It's a way of saying, "Yes, I've suffered, but I'm still here. I haven't given up. I'm still alive, against all odds!".

Twisting, writhing rage
Burns like acid through it's veins,
And a stabbing agony in it's heart,
Gets worse each passing day.

Ev'ry insult taken,
Stings deep down inside.
Ev'ry kick or punch,
Brings bitter tears to its' eyes.

Born in cold October,
Destroyed, age 13 onwards.
Reborn five years later,
As a heartless, damaged monster.

Black becomes it's symbol,
'Evil' – an adopted name.
Never forgetting those who caused
Such thoughtless, searing pain.

But Time has healed much,
A new Era can begin.
I can smile once again:
“Scarred, but still standing.”

© Copyright Cory Eadson, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Very very dark Cory. As despairing as it reads, it's good to feel there is hope there too.

    ReplyDelete